MARIE STOPES INTERNATIONAL-SUDAN
Organization employing: MARIE STOPES INTERNATIONAL – SUDAN
Position required: PROJECT CO-ORDINATOR
Report To: COUNTRY DIRECTOR
Location: SOUTH SUDAN
Marie Stopes International Sudan (MSI Sudan) is a results-oriented Social Business, which uses modern management and marketing techniques to provide family planning, reproductive and sexual healthcare and allied services. MSI Sudan is part of Marie Stopes International’s Global Partnership, which operates in over 42 countries worldwide.
A project coordinator is an operation professional; he is responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing all the objectives that relate to the project. The job holder ensures that the project achieves its objectives through timely, well-planned implementation of its work plan, and that health services are delivered to high standards of clinical quality and client care. PC he typically reports to a Country Director (project manager).
This is a senior management position where the candidate is expected to demonstrate exceptional technical, leadership, strategic and organizational management skills. The post involves extensive travel to the field.
- Job Responsibilities 1.1 Management and Implementation
Objective1.1 to take a leading role in management, coordinating and implementing of the project
• Identifying and developing new prospects and project
• Contributing to team and organizational work
• Coordinator as the vocal point person for the project
• Recruitment: Ensure positions are filled as early as possible with high caliber candidates
• HR Policies: Ensure human resource policies and practices in place.
• Motivation of team: Engage and motivate all team members and ensuring that each team member understands their responsibilities and accountabilities and work to achieve project objectives.
• Performance management: Take an active approach to managing the performance of all team members by providing honest feedback on performance; providing formal reviews at least annually; setting appropriate objectives; ensuring appropriate behaviors are discussed and appropriate training plans are put in place.
• Communication: Put in place mechanisms for effectively communicating with team members ensuring that the approaches used provide opportunities for two-way discussion. Promote a feedback culture within the team.
• Learning and development: Create a learning environment to ensure your team members have the appropriate skills to deliver service excellence; assess and forward plan for training needs, getting appropriate support and ensure attendance on mandatory/planned courses.
1.2 Clinical Standards
Objective 1.3: Ensure MSI and Ministry of Health clinical standards are met in the delivery of primary and reproductive health care
• Take necessary steps to ensure that all clinic and outreach clients receive consistent, reliable, courteous, value for money, prompt and excellent services as perceived by the customers
• Ensure clinical teams aware of clinical standards and protocols, and are competent to perform key tasks expected of them
• Ensure resource materials such as job aides, flowcharts etc available to help service providers deliver quality and consistent care.
• Implement systems to periodically monitor clinical standards and client care, including staff coaching sessions, quality technical assessments and client exit interviews, and take remedial measures where needed.
1.3 Service Provision
Objective 1.4: Provide the highest standard of reproductive health services to clients
• Ensure each client is provided with a range of reproductive health choices offered by MSI Sudan within the organization’s philosophy of minimal intervention. This involves an obligation to treat all clients, irrespective of who provided previous care, and to implement the specific techniques and procedures developed by MSI.
• Provide treatment to clients, in accordance with MSI guidelines and standards as well as standards developed by the Southern Sudan Ministry of Health.
• Through demand generation activities, increase client flows to achieve or improve on project projections of client visits.
1.4 Community Health Promotion
Objective 1.5: Increase reaches of project through Reproductive Health Promoters
• Outreach and demand generation: Manage the Health Promotion Coordinator and seek innovative approaches for the Reproductive Health Promoters (RHPs) to generate additional clients.
- CAPACITY BUILDING
2.1 Clinical Training Programme
Objective 2.1: Ensure delivery of the project’s training work plan in collaboration with MSI’s Medical Development Team
• Ensure timely implementation of project training plan which includes training in Family Planning.
- MONITORING AND EVALUATION
Objective 3.1:Ensure log frame is used as primary project management and monitoring tool
• Collect health indicators needed for project baseline, and institute tracking system
• Ensure monitoring and evaluation framework developed for the project
- OPERATIONAL MANAGEMENT
Objective 4.1: Ensure the highest standard of project management and compliance with project implementing and reporting guidelines
• Record keeping and reporting: Take necessary steps to ensure that Support Office guidelines are adhered to, that accurate records are kept in the clinic, and that timely accurate reports are submitted to the Support Office with regard to: Stock movements; Cash expenditures; Cash collections; Banking; Staff attendance; and, Service statistics.
• Budgetary control: Taking responsibility for costs to be contained within the approved annual budget. Striving for income from services to meet or surpass budgeted targets and pprepares bills and invoice, as well as budgetary and progress reports.
• Equipment and supplies management: Take steps to ensure that adequate, but not excessive stocks are maintained. Ensuring that supplies are securely stored, controlled and accurately recorded.
• Asset management, building maintenance and security: Ensure control and care of assets and facilities, setting up and maintaining appropriate maintenance contracts. Take necessary steps to ensure that risk to all MSI assets in the clinic are minimized, and that the clinic building is maintained in a sound and secure way.
• Ministry of Health and MSI compliance: Ensure compliance with national minimum healthcare standards and MSI Global Standards taking immediate action where appropriate on any areas identified for improvements as a result of internal or external audits or inspections.
• Contingency planning: Ensure there is an appropriate plan in place which anticipates any risks to the project and MSI and outline appropriate action to be taken to minimize impact.
• Security: Keep MSI Country Director updated on security situation and ensure an up to date security policy is in place and that team members are familiar with and comply with the policy.
• Health and Safety: Take overall responsibility for team, client and general safety in the project facilities.
• Other responsibilities: Any other duties that ensure the smooth and effective running of MSI Sudan.
- SECURITY AND GOVERNMENT RELATIONS IN UNITY STATE Objective 5.1: Ensure safe access to clients and the safety and security of staff and assets.
• Undertake risk and threat assessment to determine the exact nature of crisis, potential developments, and implications for program delivery and staff security.
• Undertake a rapid review of security preparedness in country and field offices and provide appropriate guidance, resources and training.
• Define appropriate responses to risks and apply preventative safety and security measures
• Ensure effective information sharing among humanitarian community regarding safety and security risks
• Manage appropriate responses to crisis situations (e.g. accident, injury, kidnapping)
• Ensure policies and procedures for safety, security and risk management are well understood and adhered to. Objective 5.2: MSI Southern Sudan is well regarded by the Government and other stakeholders, easing our operations and service delivery.
• Promote good relations with Government Offices, public and private health providers, international and local NGOs and UN agencies in Unity State.
• Bachelors Degree a MUST,
• Masters in Public Health added advantage
• Management/business/finance qualification or experience is desirable
• Knowledge of primary and reproductive health care essential
• Knowledge of budgeting desirable
• Significant operational, hands on management including team management gained within a customer focused service industry
• Healthcare management experience is desirable
• Experience in monitoring and evaluation is desirable
• Experience in working to a budget or business plan essential
• Track record of implementing change and capacity building
• IT literacy: confident using MS Office
• MS Word for reports
• MS Excel for financial and results management
• Team leadership skills: effective delegation, supervision, coaching and motivation
• Communication skills: to convey message clearly and concisely, in a manner appropriate to the target audience both in writing and verbally
• Excellent English (spoken and written), Arabic and/or local Southern Sudanese languages are essential.
• Commands personal credibility as a project manager
• Is objectives focused and persistent
• Is sympathetic to women seeking termination
• Is customer focused
• A team player with self motivation and drive
• Demonstrates personal commitment to continuing professional development
• having successful served in an administrative capacity
How to apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a copy of their CV and concise cover letter detailing how they meet the qualifications and citing using practical examples of how they have performed the tasks and responsibilities stated.
All applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 6th of May 2011.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.